Signs Your Roof Has Experienced Storm Damage
As the primary defense against Mother Nature and all she must throw at your home, roofs are designed to withstand a lot. Unfortunately, some storms are so intense that they still manage to cause roof damage, and it’s crucial to address any damage as soon as possible after the storm to avoid further issues. Knowing the signs of storm damage is the first step toward restoring your roof to optimal conditions.
Perform an Inspection
To determine whether your roof is damaged, you’ll need to perform a visual inspection. Be sure to remain on the ground, or perform your inspection from a second-story window with a good view of your roof. Rooftop inspections should only be performed by licensed roofing professionals who can navigate your roof safely and avoid causing further damage. Walk around the perimeter of your home and look for common signs of damage.
Damage From Wind
The most obvious sign of wind damage is shingles that are missing from your roof. Missing shingles can allow water to seep through to the roof deck and cause leaks and other water damage to your interior. Other damage caused by wind can include creased, broken, or curled shingles, and is often more challenging to see.
Common signs of wind damage include:
- Missing shingles or portions of shingles.
- Crease lines—thin, horizontal lines where the shingle has bent and damaged the granular coating. To remain effective against water penetration, your entire roof deck should form one watertight seal. Flapping and bent shingles indicate the watertight seal has been broken, leaving your roof susceptible to water damage.
Shingle manufacturers include a wind warranty on their products. If recorded wind gusts exceeded the warranty amount, you’ll need to file an insurance claim for replacement. If not, the manufacturer should cover replacement.
Damage From Falling Debris
If wind and other weather elements during the storm are severe enough, debris can fall and damage your roof deck. Commonly, heavy wind or lightning strikes will damage trees, causing limbs to fall on your home. While smaller branches typically do not pose an issue, larger ones can puncture your roofing materials or damage your shingles.
Common signs of debris damage include:
- Debris remaining on the roof deck after the storm
- Missing or cracked shingles
- Visible scraping damage to the top, granular layer of your shingles
- Excessive granules gathering in your downspout (though some granular deposits are standard with new shingles)
Damage from smaller debris can be trickier to spot than large-scale damage. If you notice any of these signs, you’ll likely need a professional roofing contractor to perform an inspection.
Damage From Hail
Likely, you’ll notice the beginnings of hail damage right away—hail is hard to miss, and a storm containing damaging hail often covers a large area and affects multiple homes at the same time. Hail can cause visible pitting and dents as well as broken shingles, but can also cause “bruises” to your shingles. These bruises are hard to spot but can eventually let water seep through to the underlayment and decking and cause slow water damage to your home.
Common signs of hail damage include:
- Small, round pits or divots in shingles, especially near the edges/li>
- Circular spots in your shingles where the protective granular layer is missing/li>
- Granules collecting in your gutters and downspouts/li>
- Other visible damage to items on your home and yard, including trim, windows, decks, fences, lawn furniture, and vehicles
Hail events that cause a large amount of damage in your region often attract fly-by-night roofing contractors that follow hailstorms from area to area. These contractors may appear at your door after a storm and offer you a “special deal” on roofing repair and replacement. Be wary of unfamiliar contractors and always ask for licensing and insurance; your best bet is to find a local, trusted Owens Corning-certified contractor to perform any essential roofing work.
Contact Red Owl Roofing for Your Storm Damage
If you’ve experienced any of the above forms of damage, finding the best Austin roofing contractor to complete the work quickly and efficiently is key. In the Austin area, choose Red Owl Roofing for all your storm repair needs; our business has been in operation in the area for over 35 years and is an Owens Corning-certified roofing contractor. In addition, we offer a 50-year warranty on newly installed roofs.
To schedule a professional roofing inspection, contact Red Owl Roofing today.